Monday, January 11, 2010

Tools of the Trade

The longer I cook, the more "tools" I find I need. It comes in very handy being married to a man who works with his own tools so he is always willing to go pick out whatever new contraption might make my job easier. For Christmas this year, I got a new griddle that will cook four pancakes at a time. So now instead of flipping pancakes for an hour to get enough to feed my clan, I now can do it in about twenty minutes. I also got a rack that sits on the counter and holds my cookbooks open to whatever recipe I'm making. Thank you Ally! Let's see what else...new potholders ( you have no idea how many times I scorched my hands using the cute little red gingham ones), an awesome under the cabinet can opener, and the most amazing knives I've ever used ( although my considerably chopped up thumb might disagree with me).

These things have made my job one hundred percent easier. Things that you don't think about because they hide under your cabinets, such as nice air bake cookie sheets (light colored of course), an apron, an egg separator, can openers that actually open cans, sturdy wooden spoon, cake stands, a collander, different sizes of whisks, nice pots and pans that cook your food evenly without the handle scorching your hands off, a stand mixer, and hundreds of others that you can probably think of that I forgot, can make cooking a much more delightful experience instead of a maddening experience where you get so frustrated at your burned cookies or your dried out pot roast that you throw up your hands, throw out your dinner, and run to the nearest restaurant.

As far as where to purchase these handy tools, I highly recommend TJMaxx. Great kitchen stuff for not very much money. For the extra special, more unusual items, Bed Bath and Beyond stocks wonderful kitchen items of all different shapes and sizes, just a little pricier.

These are my thoughts for the day. You have no idea how much fun I'm having being able to jot down these ideas and having people actually read them. I have so many subjects that I find myself lying awake at night dreaming up what I'm going to say even as far as this summer!

As for tonight, I'm once again attempting chicken and dumplings. I have tried so many different recipes, and cannot seem to even make them as well as Sweet Sue:-( So I will be talking about that tomorrow:-) Happy sunshine to you all today! Enjoy the above freezing temperatures and the sun sparkeling on the snow. Talk to you tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you mentioned a can opener that actually opens cans!! I was going to post on Facebook if anybody had any suggestions about that!! I have a Pampered Chef twist can opener (had about 5 years?? Maybe more...lose track of time...) was wondering if they just wear out or something?? Frustrating! Love the idea of an under the cabinet opener, as I have a galley kitchen and very little counter space to sit an opener out all the time.

    I so enjoy your blog and like the pretty's you added! Can I ask a "Heloise" type question that maybe you could stick in your list of things to write about?? Cooking for a crowd. Any tips on how to cook the right amount, menus that don't keep the kitchen in a mess while you are ready to greet company, and how to buy without using the whole weeks budget?

    Keep us updated on what tool of the trade you purchased to replace your phone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, one more thing... At my house, I want adults to be able to have food first, out of respect. (We have to do buffet style...small house) but I know practically and typically we let children go first so we can help them. Any suggestions or is this just silly?

    ReplyDelete