Friday, January 29, 2010

Off with the old and on with the new!







I must start by apologizing for the lack of frequency in my posts. I have been a little distracted with laundry, organizing, school, discipline, cooking (of course!), and most importantly, starting the process of REMODELING MY KITCHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This has been my dream ever since we moved into this house almost six years ago, and now it is becoming a reality! We have started picking out cabinets, and Jonny found really old wood for the floors. Now I'm working through the details, which I will admit keeps me up very late at night lying in the bed wondering such things as "What color will I paint the floor?" or "Where should I put the new plate rack?" and "Where can I find vintage red and white wallpaper?"
I do not mind this process at all. No, I intend to enjoy every minute of it!
But I have decided that for a little while anyway, I will include you in the process of planning. I will still of course, be adding recipes along the way, so you will not get bored with me. Today I will give you Stuffed Pork Loin and Nonny's rolls.



Stuffed Pork Loin (originally by Paula Dean with new and improved
tips by yours truly!)
In a large skillet melt 1/4 cup butter over med heat. Add 1 onion finely chopped and 3 cloves garlic minced. Cook for five minutes stirring frequently until tender. Stir in 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach thawed, and squeezed dry. Cook for 3 minutes. Add 1 (12 ounce) package bacon cooked and crumbled (if I don't already have these in the freezer, I just use prepackaged real bacon bits), 1 (5 ounce) package grated Parmesan cheese, and 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, stirring until cheese is melted. Now I always add a package of stuffing mix to keep the pork really moist, but this is just my way. Paula doesn't suggest it.
Butterfly the pork loin by making a lengthwise cut down the bottom third of one flat side, cutting to within one inch of the other side. From bottom of cut, slice horizontally to 1/2 inch from left side; repeat procedure on right side. Open pork loin, and flatten to 1/2 inch thickness, using me a meat mallet. Trim uneven sides to make a clean rectangle.
Okay if your like me your are now saying "huh?" Basically you're just trying to make the entire loin flat, but not just in half. You're making three different cuts to open it up really long. Make sense? If not then trying googling "butterflying pork loin".
Spread mixture over loin then roll up and tie with twine.
Preheat oven to 475. Place pork loin on a lightly greased rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake for twenty minutes. Reduce heat to 325 cover and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until meat reaches 155 degrees in the thickest part. Let stand for ten minutes before slicing.
A little time consuming, but so very delicious!! Worth trying for sure.

Nonny's Roll

Just to let you know, Nonny is my Dad's mom and a wonderful cook!
Mix 2 cups hot tap water with 1 stick melted butter. Add 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon salt. Stir, let sit until lukewarm. Add 2 packages rapid rise yeast. Then start adding flour. Approx. 6 cups. Then knead the heck out of it and let it rise till doubled. Punch down and pinch into rolls and let rise again until doubled. Then slow bake until light gold. Cover with melted butter.


Now for the first question of the remodel. Should I paint the wood floors gray, turquoise, or red? Just so you understand, the kitchen will be turquoise, white, and red to match the dining room. White cabinets, red island, gray countertops, turquoise fireplace. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I'm going with gray...so the brighter colors will POP, and from what I can tell by reading, you don't have anything gray touching the floor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the red. I have to tell you, when we left your house the day we came to visit, I told Tim, "when we have a house, I want lots of colors...like hers!" I like the turquiose and red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I know is I just bought 2 new pricey gallons of paint at Lowes, ran home to slap it up on the wall... and I hate it. In the evening light it looks peach and quite boring. Unfortunately, I am trapped into working with this carpet and lovely brown stained woodwork. Oh joy. Let's hope it's all better in the morning light. :-) I so would love to do turquoise, gray, and black accents...

    ReplyDelete