Friday, January 8, 2010

Soups and such

Tonight Jonny is taking me out, so I'm taking a break from cooking and instead throwing together a pot of soup.

My menu this week has consisted of:
King Chicken Casserole with peas, corn, crescent rolls, and monkey bread for dessert

Roast with potatoes, carrots, and onions, salad, box stuffing, cranberry sauce,rolls, and homeade cherry pie

Chicken pot pie with fried apples and biscuits with honey, and chocolate chip cookies

Fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, broccoli, corn on the cob, hot rolls with honey butter sauce, and berry dumpcake with Andy's vanilla custard

As you can tell, I like making comfort foods with lots of butter and sugar, which would explain my constant struggle to fit in my jeans:-(

But back to tonight. I'm making creamy chicken noodle soup. The first person that ever made this for our family was Christina Cates, and it's been one of our favorites ever since. You simply boil chicken in a buttery broth then shred. Boil noodles in broth then add two cans of crm chicken soup, package of cream cheese, and parsley. (Hey, if you want diet food visit Jenny Craig) This soup is so easy and so flavorful.

Soups are one of my favorite things to make in the winter. I found a great magazine at Sam's called "Taste of Home Heartwarming Soups" and I went through and made a list of my favorites and make sure I always keep those ingredients on hand.

Some of our favorite soups are: Potato from Teri Roy's kitchen, Chicken Tortilla from Valerie Killingsworth, Creamy Chicken Noodle from Christina Cates.

All that I serve when I make soup is a bread to go with it and then some sort of easy dessert. I've started always keeping the bag of frozen Pillsbury biscuits and Sister Schuberts roll in my freezer. The best place to buy these without sales or coupons is Sam's. They come in huge bags that are resealable and are very affordable. I melt butter and brush it over the rolls, and for the biscuits, I set out the honey and jam.

Easy meal yet very satisfying and perfect for these sub-zero nights.

That's it for today. Try to find the time to sit with a cup of something hot to drink and watch the beautiful snow falling. God's gift of pure perfection to make things quieter and cozier for a brief time.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds goood. Do you use fresh or dryed parsley? How much chicken and broth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound really good. Actually the whole weeks menu sounds amazing! Wish we lived closer. You deserve a night out, tell Jonny to splurge on you!
    I think the creamy chicken soup would be really good with dumplings, have you ever tried the cheater frozen kind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK...that sounds divine!! I think I have all those ingredients on hand...yea!! You have no idea how I appreciate this. I like to cook but I STRUGGLE with motivation when I have no ideas and the fam doesn't suggest anything!! This is a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i use sour cream instead of cream cheese but good job making it your own and thanks for the props :) christina cates

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jen, Welcome back to the blogger world! I have always thought you were a good writer and I know you are a great cook... so this should be a fun read! One of my new plans is to have soup with every meal I make at home now, just for the cold months, of course... Yesterday, my kids sd I made the best creamy vegetable soup ever. All I did was empty out the leftovers!
    Keep posting on that phone of yours... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer, I'm not exactly sure about the measurements on water and chicken. I'd say about three pounds of chicken and maybe two to three quarts of water. You'll find that I'm real bad to make things up as I go. I do use dried parsley but I'm sure you can use either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried it and it turned out well, Thanks. I alawys am making stuff up and I hardly ever measure, so I know where your coming from.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete