Monday, January 18, 2010

Hips and Tents

Do I have your attention? Funnily enough, this is the way I always accidentally say tips and hints. I don't have time for a long post today. Have to take advantage of my kids being outside, and get some work done. But in my musings this morning, I thought of how often I have to pull my cheat sheets out of my two oldest cookbooks. One day I will have them all memorized and my kids will be so impressed when I say "Oh dear! I don't have any sour cream! Oh well, I'll just add some lemon juice to a little evaporated milk."
Until then, I'll keep pulling out my handy little books.

I'll start with handy substitutions. These come in so handy when you are in the middle of something and can't run to the store.

1 cup self rising flour 1 cup all-purpose flour+1 tsp baking powder+1/2 tsp salt

1 cup cake flour 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour minus 2 tablespoons

1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp cream of tartar+1/4 tsp salt

1 cup sour cream 1 tablespoon lemon juice+evaporated milk to equal one cup
or 3 tablespoons butter +7/8 cup sour milk (like who really keeps
sour milk around)

1 cup yogurt 1 cup buttermilk

1 cup buttermilk 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice+milk to equal one cup

1 cup milk 1/2 cup evaporated milk+1/2 cup water (learn to keep this in
your pantry. It will save you many an emergency!)

1 clove fresh garlic 1 tsp garlic salt or 1/8 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder 2 tsp minced onion

Interesting huh? And mighty handy in a pinch I might add. If you don't have a list like this already, you might want to print this one out and keep it with your cookbooks.

Now for the cooking hints.

Baking Unless otherwise specified, always preheat the oven at least twenty minutes before baking.

Browning For best results in browning food in a skillet, dry the food first on paper towels.

Measuring Always measure accurately. Level dry ingredients with the top of a cup.
Measure liquids in a cup so that the fluid is level with the measuring line.
Measure solid shortening by packing it firmly in a graduated measuring cup.

Storing Milk cartons make splendid freezing containersfor stocks, soups, etc.

Breads and Cakes To test for doneness in baking a butter cake, insert a straw or wire cake
tester into the center of the cake in at least two places. The tester should
come out clean if the cake is done.
If you press your finger into the middle, it should bounce right back into
shape.If cake tests done, remove from oven, invert cakepan for five
minutes or time specified in inst. then loosen cake from the sides and
bottom of the pan. Invert onto a plate or rack and turn it right side up
on another cake rack so that air may circulate around it. This prevents
sogginess.

Butter When a recipe says "greased pan", grease the pan with solid shortening
or an oil, unless butter is specified.


Candies Weather is a big factor in candymaking. On a hot, humid dayit is advisable to cook
candy 2 degrees higher than a cold, dry day.

Fruit A whole lemon heated in hot water for five minutes, will yield 1 or 2 tabsp
more juice than an unheated lemon.

Sauces When a sauce curdles, remove pan from heat and plunge into a pan of cold water
to stop cooking process. Beat sauce vigorously or pour into a blender and beat.

Vegetables Cooking such vegetables as green pepper and cucumbers briefly in boiling water
makes them easier to digest than raw vegetables.
New potatoes should be cooked in boiling water. Old potatoes should start in
cold water and be brought to a boil.
Rub hands with parsley to remove any odor.

Fascinating isn't it? I'm convinced that we should all take more time to learn things like this and pass it on down to our children. I'm not saying that there is never a time for a frozen pot roast dinner or canned ravioli. After all, "There is a time to every purpose under heaven" a time to cook and a time to refrain from cooking. But I believe that gathering your children together when it's time to cook and showing them "secrets" that no one else knows, draws us closer to them, makes them admire us more, and educates them far more than going to a restaurant, or ordering pizza.

I will now climb down off my soapbox.

Have a splendid Monday evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment