Friday, January 8, 2010

Regarding roast

Have you ever noticed that whenever the subject of cooking roast comes up in a circle of ladies, the most common complaint is "I can't make a roast near as tasty as my Mom does"?

I have the same problem. I have prided myself on my version of pot roast for some years now, until one dark day when Jonny and the girls informed me that Nana's is better. I am now tweeking and testing my recipe to make it more like Mom's that can fill a house like nothing you've ever smelled. That is slightly crispy on the outside but still falling apart with tenderness. That is the most flavorful bite of juiciness that you will ever put in your mouth.

Her recipe is as follows: use a good chuck roast and salt and pepper both sides. Then put a litle water in the bottom of your roasting pan and cover with foil. Bake at around •250ish for about three hours. Then remove and add a pouch of Lipton soup mix. Place back in oven for another two to three hours always making sure there is enough water in the bottom. Then when finished, use the drippings in the bottom and mix with brown gravy mix over medium heat until rich and bubbly. Pull the roast apart with a fork and pour the gravy over all of it. YUM!!!!

I did discover another recipe for not a pot roast but more the kind from the old Grinch that you actually carve. It is now Jonny's favorite but is much more difficult to make. It's kind of long so hang on:
four to five pound boneless rump roast
two tablespoons of worcestershire sauce
one teaspoon granulated garlic
one teaspoon onion powder
one teaspoon paprika
one tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
two teaspoons coarse salt
Adjust the rack to the bottom of the oven and preheat to 450 degrees.

Preparing the roast
First, blot any excess moisture from the roast using paper towels. Rub the worcestershire sauce over the entire roast; allow the roast to sit for a few minutes, turning it several times so that the meat can absorb the worcestershire sauce.

Second, combine the granulated garlic, onion powder, paprika and coarse ground pepper in a small bowl; sprinkle the seasoning mixture evenly over the roast, pressing it into the fat and meat just enough to stick. Allow the seasoned roast to stand at room temp for twenty to thirty minutes before roasting.

Third, rub the roast with the coarse salt and place it fat side up in a shallow roasting pan. Roast for fifteen minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 325. Continue to cook until the internal temperature reaches five to ten degrees below the desired serving temp or about two hours. (note: allow about twenty minutes per pound for medium-rare). When the roast is done, carefully remove the pan from the oven and tranfer the roast to a clean cutting board. Allow the roast to stand for twenty minutes before slicing.

Pan Gravy
Three tablespoons all purpose flour
two cups beef broth
salt and pepper to taste

Make the gravy
Use a spoon to skim all the fat from the liquid that remains in the roasting pan. Reserve about four tablespoons of fat in a small mixing bowl and cool until it is just barely warm, four to five minutes. Whisk the flour into the fat to form a roux. Scrape the dripping from the bottom of the pan, add in the beef broth and stir over medium heat until the broth begins to simmer. Whisk in the roux and bring to a boil, then simmer for four to five minutes. Add a little water, a taplespoon at a time, as needed to achieve the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.


Present the Roast
Use a sharp carving knife to cut thin slices against the grain. Arrange the slices on a decorative platter and pour the irresistible juices left on the cutting board over the meat. Pass the gravy alongside in a gravy boat.

The End!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whew! My fingers are tired now! I had to come to the library for this one. I know this recipe may sound a little tricky and very long, but believe me it is soooooo worth it!! When you bring that beauty out with your little apron on and act like this is everyday for you, you will feel a sense of pride that you can't imagine. Worth every minute (or hour) it takes and it makes excellent sandwiches later!

Well I'm off now to take Ally to get her contacts so the poor girl can see. But good news! We're off to look for a computer today, and I'm beside myself with excitement! My phone will not let me answer your questions or comment along with you. So hopefully next week we'll be set up. Thank you again you precious readers and fellow cooks. Good luck to you all!!!

2 comments:

  1. Roast was a regular Sunday meal at our house growing up. My sister still makes it sometimes for our Sunday dinner. We just put ours in the Crock pot with carrots and potatoes. Mom always poked holes in it with a knife and then stuck garlic cloves in the holes. I have used the Lipton Onion soup mix several times. The funny thing about the quality of the roast...my sister's kids complain if she used a good quality roast. I think may the cheaper ones with a little more fat add more flavor. Just don't want one with so much that there isn't any meat to it. Great blog! I will enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Against the grain!! I always forget which way I'm supposed to slice!! I like your mom's style ...mixing the gravy with the meat and then serve. I can see roasts will improve in this house! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete