Friday, January 22, 2010

Cozy and Comforting

I am speaking of...the casserole of course. Doesn't the name alone take you back to being little and feeling warm and taken care of. The comforting memory of Mom popping this surprising bit of this and that into a warm oven and watching it bubble through the glass. The savory aroma as it comes out of the oven. The satisfying taste in your mouth without worrying what it will do to your hips. Too fattening you might protest. I beg to differ. During the forties and fifties when the casserole became so popular, people were far skinnier than we are today. You may disagree and you are allowed to.

Some of my favorite casseroles are King Chicken Casserole, Cashew Chicken Casserole, Potatoe Casserole, Chicken and Rice, Breakfast Casserole, Broccoli and Rice Casserole, and Squash Casserole. I would like to ask for a trade if I may. I will post some of these recipes, if some of you would post, in the form of a comment, at least one of your favorite casserole recipes. I really would like to add some more to my library, and I prefer to sample a tried and true recipe to an unfriendly group of words on a page.

Do not feel that any recipe is too simple or too difficult or too unhealthy or too anything else. I would love to hear from you.

Squash Casserole: Brown 3/4 lb sausage and 1/2 chopped onion. Drain. Cook 2 cups yellow squash diced. Mix sausage, squash, 1 tabsp. butter melted, 1/2 cup crushed crackers, 1 can cream chicken soup, 1/2 cup mayonaise, and 3/4 cup grated cheddar. Spread in casserole dish. Top with 1/2 cup buttered bread crumbs and 1/4 cup grated parmesan. Bake at 350 for about 30 to 45 minutes.

King Chicken Casserole: Boil 5 or 6 chicken breasts then shred. Saute 1 large onion in 1/4 cup butter. Add 1 ten ouce can rotel, 2 cans crm chicken soup, and 3/4 cup shredded cheddar to onion. Heat through. Layer half soup mixture in casserole and top with 1/2 bag crumbled Doritos. Add remaining soup mixture. Bake at 350 for twenty minutes then sprinkle on 3/4 cup shredded cheddar. Bake another 10 minutes then add remaining bag of crumbled Doritos.

Cashew Chicken Casserole: Saute 1 cup celery and 1/4 cup chopped onion in 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in two cans crm chicken soup, and 2/3 cup chicken broth. Simmer 5 minutes. Add 4 cups cooked diced chicken and 4 tablespoons soy sauce. Cook over low heat five minutes. Stir in 2 cups cooked rice. Spoon into casserole dish and bake until liquid bubbles to surface about fifteen to twenty minutes. Sprinkle on 1 cup chow mein noodles and 1 cup cashew nuts. Bake another five or ten minutes in oven.

Chicken and Rice: Sorry, no measurements for this one. My own creation. Boil 3 lbs chicken breasts in large pot of water with a stick of butter. Shred chicken and set aside. In large bowl dump in three to four cups rice and pour in enough broth, cream chicken soup and sour cream to make extremely creamy (maybe even too soggy). Sprinkle in some onion salt and stir in chicken. Spoon into casserole and top with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted.

Breakfast Casserole: Layer in casserole; 2 slices cubed bread, 1 lb cooked sausage crumbled and drained, 6 ounces shredded cheddar. Then mix 6 beaten eggs, 2 cups milk, and 1/2 tsp dry mustard. Pour over layers. Let sit overnight. Next morning bake 45-50 minutes at 350.

Based on the fact that my poor fingers are so frozen that I have made four hundred mistakes on this page, and had to delete them, this is my self-sacrificial, gift of love to you. Don't be shy. Let's hear from you!

5 comments:

  1. Why were your fingers so cold?? Ok here are a few of mine.

    Maussaka: Cook 2 lbs of ground beef and 1 chopped med. onion till brown; drain. Stir in 8 oz tomato sauce,1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp oregano and 1/8 tsp garlic powder. Mix sauce mix from a box of scalloped potatoes, 2 c. milk, 2 c. water, and 2 Tbs. butter in 2 qt sauce pan. Heat till boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Temper 2 beaten eggs and add to sauce. Grease 13x9 pan, layer 1/2 potatoes, 1/2 beef mix. and 1/2 shredded cheddar, then repeat. Pour sauce over top and sprinkle with paprika. Bake 1 hr at 325.

    This Little Piggy Casserole: In ziplock bag combine 1 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp onion powder, and 1 c. flour; shake well. Add 1 1/2 lb cubed pork loin in small batches. Brown meat in small amount of olive oil. Placed browned meat in 13x9 pan. Layers 2 sliced onions on top of meat.Then 4 sliced potatoes on meat. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle 1/4 c parm on top, then pour 7 oz beef broth over top. Top with another 1/4 c parm,, cover with foil. Bake for an hr at 400.

    Spaghetti Pizza: Cook 1 1/2 boxes of spaghetti. Combine 1 c milk, 3 eggs and stir into spaghetti. Divide mixture into 2 13x9 greased pans. Treat this as pizza dough and top with all of your favorite toppings; don't forget the sauce. Bake at 325 fo 30 min.

    Well I hope these work for you. The spaghetti pizza is something some one made me when I was in the hospital as a little girl. The Maussaka is something my grandma used to make, and the piggy casserole I've found since I've been married. Have a great night and thanks for doing this. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is from my grandma. Sweet memories every time I make this! 7 in 1 Casserole

    1 layer sliced potatoes
    1 layer sliced carrots
    1 layer drained peas
    1 layer chopped celery
    1 layer onion
    1 1/2 pound browned ground beef
    1 can tomato soup

    Grease baking dish and add salt and ground beef between layers. Bake 350 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Now, I make this in my crock pot and I brown the onions with the ground beef and I spoon a little soup on each layer and then a second can over the top. Hearty and delicious!

    Thanks for sharing your casserole recipes, Jen and letting us share ours!! Again, great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen,
    Just now getting to read through your blog and it's great! Growing up in a home where my mom never really mastered cooking (she mastered lots of other things haha), I have been determined to succeed in the kitchen! Kevin (my husband) comes from a family of GREAT cajun cooks, so I have a lot to live up to! I really enjoy cooking most nights and love to feed my family a yummy meal! I don't have to many superb casserole recipes but I do have a couple of cooking questions. In your squash casserole recipe...what kind of sausage are you using? The other question is when cooking a casserole with rice (I have a couple that I do and I always cook the rice first), do you put your rice in uncooked....and if so, how do you know how much liquid to add and how much time it needs to cook? I really like the blog too, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casie, thanks for reading! I use the ground sausage by Jimmy Dean mild. As far as the rice goes, I use instant rice and do not cook it beforehand. Remember that in making this kind of rice it's always one cup rice to one cup liquid. But when I'm making a casserol with it I always make there is more than enough liquid or soups in it because I want it really, really moist. Cajun family huh? Wow! That would be hard to follow in those footsteps! I love great cajun cooking and it isn't easy to cook like that. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, thanks for the rice tip! I love cooking Cajun style! My husband's dad's family are true Cajuns and all of his mom's family are true Irish(not a fan of Irish cooking...very bland). We are supposed to be going over there in May and I was thinking of surprising them with a Cajun meal! :) I have a recipe for Jambalaya from one of Kevin's aunts that is incredible! I'll give you the recipe sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete