Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Motto is...

Always be prepared. You never know what a week might bring. I have learned to always be sure that in the winter months, I have everything for my favorite soups, and roast. Because when a good storm hits, such as the one we're suppose to get this weekend, I will have what I need to make a warm soup that will sit simmering on the stove all day and filling the house with it's tantalizing aroma making everyone wish it were dinner time. Or if Jonny wants to have spur of the minute company, I don't have to rush to the store and pick up something way too expensive because my imagination couldn't think up something reasonable.
Then of course I am also in the process of learning to always have at least one night on my menu, a meal that I don't have to thaw and doesn't take much preparation. Like for example today, I spent the day working around the house and by dinner time, just didn't feel much like cooking the stuffed pork loin that was scheduled for tonite. So I moved Wednesday's spaghetti and meatballs to tonite and didn't have to hardly lift a finger.
I buy frozen meatballs from Sam's and keep a big box of salad on hand. I did make my own sauce but that really isn't time consuming at all. Then throw a box of frozen cheese bread in the oven and voila! Easy meal that my family thought was great!
It really cuts down on the impromptu meals out when I plan this way. I was extremely tempted tonite to ask for dinner out, even though that would be renigging on the promise that I had made about no more spending money this week.
Jonny was very glad that I stuck by my word and "cooked" dinner.

Try some tricks such as; keep bags of cooked, diced chicken in the freezer for quick casseroles. Keep some frozen ravioli and a jar of spaghetti sauce on hand then just poor the sauce over the ravioli and bake with a little mozzarella (thanks Natalie R!). Bake potatoes and top with everything you can find that your family will put on it. Keep the frozen meatballs and a jar of brown gravy, then dump them in a pot and add sour cream. Serve over noodles. Ideas like this will save those frustrating trips to McDonalds.

Feel free to add any ideas that you might come up with. I always love to hear your thoughts.


PS-For Casie, the apple dumplings that I made were my Nonny's recipe. I of course switched it up and did my own thing with it. They were easy but I wouldn't say my favorite. I just wrapped crescent rolls around a granny smith apple that had been peeled, cored, and sliced, then put a dab of butter in the middle and sprinkled sugar and brown sugar over the top. I just now realized that I forgot the cinnamon (maybe that's why I didn't care for it), you should probably try it with it. Then poured a little Sprite over the top and baked it slowly so the apples could soften and the crust would turn golden brown.
I prefer my crust to be more like a pastry and this was more bready. But my family loved it, at least they said they did. That's the trouble with having such a sweet family. You never know if they're just being nice:-}

Tomorrow I will try to find the time to give you the stuffed pork loin recipe. It's originally from Paula Dean with of course, my own ideas thrown in!

3 comments:

  1. I just found out my "go to meal" was not really liked by Bruce! Totally burst my bubble! The kids like it though, so I guess I'll move it to the school hot lunch menu. But here it is... Polish (Kielbasa) Sausage cooked with lots of onions and green peppers served over rice with either a green salad or a jar of applesauce I have dressed up with a little more cinnamon, sugar and a dash of nutmeg. I always have Polish Sausage in the freezer and I use a rice cooker (being half Filipino, can't be using instant rice! HA!) so I always have rice on hand too. You can take that rock hard frozen sausage and put it in the skillet with the onions and green peppers and cover it with a tight lid and it will be done to perfection by the time the rice maker is done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the apple dumpling recipe....I think I'll give it a try when all the snow melts! Can you tell a big difference between the frozen meatballs and homemade ones? I've never really used them (I'd like to), but I'm always a little leery to try them because Kevin doesn't like the taste of processed food (who does though?). I do the frozen ravioli as well...never baked it though, that sounds better! I also do baked ziti or a big breakfast style meal with eggs and sausage or bacon, which my girls love! :)
    Sister Cin- thanks for the tip about the sausage, I never would have thought you could cook it frozen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casie, I think that the frozen meatballs are fine. I have made them from scratch a time or two , and although they are definitely better, there's not an extreme difference in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete