Monday, February 1, 2010

Coupon tips and more recipes to clog your arteries

This morning I woke up and started peeling potatoes and onions. Then I put them into a big pot with some leftover stir fry meat and cut up carrots with lots of beef bouillon and some onion soup mix. Now it is bubbling on the stove and filling this house with it's rich beefy smell and I have the peace of mind all day, that dinner is already made! I need to do this more often.
I just realized what I will blog about tomorrow! Crock pot recipes and other things that you start in the morning. Today I will answer a couple of questions about couponing and then I have some very unhealthy recipes for you.

As far as the couponing thing goes, I get most of my coupons from the Kansas City Paper because that is the biggest one available here. But I also get many from coupon.com, couponbug.com, and couponmom.com. There are also alot of coupons in the All You magazine sold at Wal-Mart.
The stores I shop at most frequently are Dillon's, CVS, and you can even do well sometimes at Wal-Mart. Walgreens is a good spot too just not one of my personal favorites. Find the store nearest you that doubles coupons and then watch for their sales. The trick is to combine coupons with sales. That's when you really hit the jackpot.
There are some great websites out there such as, hiptosave.com and southernsavers.com. There are many more but these are the two that I watch the most. They will tell you step by step what stores have the great deals and what coupons to combine to get the most for your money.
Feel free to ask more question. This is one of my all time favorite subject and I love helping people get started with it.

Now for the three recipes. Today I will introduce to you; Smothered Steak, Chicken Continental, and Chocolate Pie. Don't ask me where these recipes come from. My mom has been making them ever since I can remember.

Smothered Steak: Dip salted cube steak into flour with a little pepper and fry till done. After letting dry on a paper towel, place steak in a casserole dish in a single layer. Pour off some of the grease from the frying pan and save the drippings and crusties on the bottom. Add cream of mushroom soup ( I usually do a large pan of steak so I use about two large cans of soup) and whisk together to make a rich looking gravy. Pour over steak. Saute an onion and a bell pepper in pan until soft and arrange over top of gravy. Bake at 350 degrees for about thirty minutes or until bubbly.
Can you feel your arteries clogging right now? Just wait...

Chicken Continental: Place dried beef all over the bottom of a casserole dish. Wrap boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a piece of soft cooked bacon. Arrange over dried beef. Mix equal parts sour cream and cream of mushroom soup in a large bowl and add a little flour to keep from being to runny. Pour over chicken and bake at 350 degrees about an hour.

Chocolate Pie: Combine one stick melted butter with one cup flour and 1/2 cup chopped pecans. Press into bottom of casserole dish and bake @ 375 degrees for about 15 minutes then allow to cool completely.
In a mixing bowl, beat 8 oz softened cream cheese, one cup powdered sugar, and one cup cool whip. Spread over crust.
Mix one large box chocolate INSTANT pudding mix and 2 & 2/3 cup milk. Pour over cream cheese mixture.
Cover all three layers with cool whip and top with chopped pecans. Refrigerate.

I hope these work as well for your family as they do for ours. These are some of our all time favorites.

More on the kitchen remodel later!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so I'm going to look into finding coupons, but how do you know what stores double coupon (what is that exactly?)? We have Walmart and Price Cutter in the lovely "large" town of Berryville :). Do you use the comp ads?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call and find out if Price Cutter does. The one here doubles any coupon up to fifty cents. Which means that a fifty cent coupon is worth a dollar. Maybe try Harts in Eureka too. I don't ususally use comp ads here because I'm so close to all the stores, but when I lived in Berryville, Mom and I comped tons of stuff and did really well.

    ReplyDelete