Friday, February 5, 2010

Popcorn Balls and Banana Pudding!




This morning for breakfast I made homemade bread, fried ham, potato cakes, and we had leftover cherry pie. I need summer to come if for no other reason than to stop having this insatiable urge to cook all the time! Bathing suits and fried ham just don't make a pretty pigeon pair.

I think this comes from mine and my girls love of reading Little House on the Prairie and watching Tales from Avonlea. They make being in the kitchen look so productive and like so much fun. So yesterday when we were sitting together watching Tales from Avonlea and watching Felicity cooking up ham and roast chicken and baking fresh cherry pies, we just had to get up and start our own superb dinner. And superb it was indeed!
Of course salty enough with all the fried chicken that everyone went to bed last night with cups of water by their beds. I like a little chicken with my salt.


Oh well, when summer comes I will get back to grilling chicken and veggies and hot dogs and hamburgers and making chocolate cake and chocolate chip cookies and potato salad and asian coleslaw and guacamole and OH DEAR!
Maybe I do live by the motto "Die young make a pretty corpse".
On a more positive note, I went back to Dillons last night and here is my list:
4 boxes of Cheez-it's
5 boxes of Ritz crackers
1 bag lime Tostitoes
1 package Nestle chocolate chips
9 boxes of Colgate toothpaste
3 bags of bread
10 bags of frozen meatballs
10 packages Johnsonville sausages
5 cans Edge shaving gel
4 bottles of Franks hot sauce
6 bottles of French's mustard
2 bottles Suave lotion
Grand Total $192
After sales and coupons my total $55
Can I get a wowwie wow wow!!!!


Now for a couple of dessert recipes that my family loves.

Popcorn Balls (from the kitchen of Melahnie R)

Mix; 1 cup sugar, 3/4 cup karo syrup, 1/3 cup butter, in a pan and slowly boil for 1 minute. Take off heat and add 3/4 cup peanut butter. Stir well. Add 6 to 9 cups of freshly popped popcorn (not microwave). Stir and shape into balls.
Easy and delicious!!


Banana Pudding (my dad's all time favorite)
In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk and 1 & 1/2 cups cold water. Add 1 (3 & 1/2 ounce) box vanilla instant pudding. Mix well and refrigerate five minutes or until set.
Whip 2 cups heavy whipping cream until softly stiff.
Combine gently with pudding mixture. Layer in a trifle dish, pudding, vanilla wafers, bananas (I dip mine in Sprite to keep them from turning brown and it doesn't taste as strong as lemon juice). Then repeat and top with pudding and garnish with two or three cookies.

Goodbye for today my friends. I am off to play some board games with my girls.

1 comment:

  1. The first time we read "Farmer Boy" the kids couldn't get over how much was written in describing the food! They couldn't imagine eating all that. It should them how soft they are today! HA! As much work as little Almanzo had to do...I bet he burned every calorie!

    Thanks for the banana and Sprite tip! Love it!

    ReplyDelete