Thursday, February 4, 2010

All the Comforts of Home

Right now I am sitting at my computer by the big window watching the beautiful snow while the soft music is playing in the living room, the chocolate cakes are cooling on the stove, homemade bread is rising near the warm oven, and the house is filled with the irresistible scents of different candles twinkling. Ally is in the kitchen making a cherry pie and a green bean casserole and all the babies are watching Lady and the Tramp. The fryer is sitting waiting for me to fill it with oil and start frying up all the chicken thawing in the sink.
It is indeed pleasant in the Jeppsen house today.
I cannot decide what else to put with this feast. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, green bean casserole, bread, and cherry pie. Something seems to be missing. Maybe I'll fry up some apples with lots of butter and cinnamon.
Some people call me crazy because I love days like this so much. Days when the snow is flying, and the sky is gray, and it's colder that a cast iron toilet on the shady side of an iceburg. But this is why. The house feels so cozy and inviting. Coming in from the cold to hot coffee and fresh chocolate cake with the fireplace spreading it's cheery warmth all over the house.
Why wouldn't I like this time of year.
I will admit that I'm getting a little excited for spring and summer. For warm weather and a whole new host of cooking ideas. Everything from potato salad and deviled eggs to chocolate chip cookies and lemonade.
But for now, I will sit snug and cozy in the big chair by the fireplace and enjoy the soft fluffy snow falling quietly and keep on thinking up new warm and inviting ideas to share with you.

Sincerely,
Pollyanna

No comments:

Post a Comment