Wednesday, February 24, 2010

So far this is for the birds!!

Not that I am giving up. No sirree bob!! I have actually been doing amazingly well. Eating really well and exercising too. But as far as the menu goes, well let's just say that you will not be any more excited to try these foods than I was to eat them.
I am simply going to have to get more creative. I have realized that eating healthy is much easier in the summer, when you can grill all kinds of meats and veggies than in the winter.
Let's see here, what have I been eating?
Well Monday night Jonny took me to Cheddars after I turned down his invitation to Red Robin. I scanned the menu and turned a deaf taste bud to my all time favorite Buffalo Chicken wrap with lots and lots of ranch. Instead I ordered the grilled salmon with steamed broccoli and corn. I resisted the urge to get the Caesar salad, knowing how much fat is in creamy dressing.
My considerate husband proceeds to order a huge plate of loaded nachos:-(
So our food comes out and his of course looks amazingly succulent and mine looks...well...healthy shall we say.
A piece of unseasoned salmon lying on a bed of rice, with absolutely nothing brown and crisp anywhere to be seen. Now understand that I like me some salmon. Jonny can make it unlike anything you've ever tasted. I guarantee that even you fish haters out there would enjoy his grilled salmon.
This was not Jonny's salmon. It was terrible and extremely fishy. The broccoli had loads of minced garlic all over it. Again let me reassure you that I really enjoy garlic and broccoli, just not necessarily together. The only thing on the plate worth eating was the corn (which to be honest isn't the best vegetable for getting necessary vitamins).
I left feeling very healthy with a disgusting taste in my tongue. You can probably imagine how I must've smelled after fish and garlic.

Last night I made spaghetti and meatballs. More for convenience than health. But I didn't make any bread and made sure that everyone had lots of salad. I didn't put any pasta with my meatballs. Once again trying to make the healthier choice. This meal was a little better than the previous night, but still not smothered steak with mashed potatoes and buttered rolls.

We are making up for the nasty dinners with delicious breakfast's and lunch's. Cereal, granola, lots of fruit, turkey sandwiches, salads, and yogurt.

I am going to try my hardest to come up with some healthy recipes or else this month is going to be really long. I just haven't had the time to pour over the healthy cookbooks (if I indeed have any of those things). But I am determined to try.
Thank you so much for the comments and encouragement.
I am now off to paint the trim in the bathroom to get it ready for it's grand wallpapering tonight! Have a wonderful Wednesday sweet readers!

2 comments:

  1. If you're worried about pasta, try the whole wheat pasta. It's a bit more expensive, but really worth it, I think. I feel like it cooks up better and stay "firm" longer than regular pasta too. I've made chicken noodle soup with it and the leftovers were not mush the next day. Hope that helps! And yes, we season everything! A lot!!! We love jerk chicken, lemon pepper, anything with a good strong flavor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're making great efforts! Just keep it up. And hey, try cooking your way through a good healthy cookbook (from the library if need be). You know, the "Julie and Julia" way...

    A quote from my Mom:
    "Nothing tastes as good as SKINNY feels!"

    ReplyDelete