Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Beautiful Table Settings







In past years, I never cared a fig about beautiful dishes, tableclothes, vases, or silverware. I had my everyday blue and white gingham plates with matching cups and my blue and gold china that I have only used a handful of times, and I was quite content with those.
This is no longer the case with me. I have now found that I enjoy browsing through vintage dishes on ebay, or wandering through booths at flea markets, or better yet, happening upon some surprises at yard sales (I prefer the name yard sale to garage sale. It seems to sound less cluttered and more...fresh shall we say.), to clothes shopping.
I love putting together new and exciting tablescapes and have accidentally passed this love down to Meghan and Ally. They love pulling out the vases and assorted candles and "matching" them with different colors of plates and linens.
"Frivolous and costly" you might suppose. "On the contrary" I would argue!
Did you even know that you can go to the $1 store and find all kinds of plates and glasses?
That is where I bought my white plates and some of my holiday dishes too.
It is very necessary to have white plates and clear glasses (or goblets) that will match with everything.
Then another great trick is to go to Hobby Lobby and buy their chargers (the big plastic plate that you put under the dinner plate) for $1.79 each. They have silver (my personal favorite) and red and gold.
Then keep your eyes peeled at flea markets and yard sales for napkins of any color (even mismatched works great!) and tablecloths.
You can buy different sizes of vases for very little cost at flea markets and can basically pay next to nothing at yard sales. Then run to Sam's and grab up your favorite flower, or in the spring, run to your own flower bed and come up with your own arrangement.
Some of my favorite ideas are:
White plates on silver chargers with my pink bubble glasses (they're actually plastic.SSHHHH), and white napkins. Then add some silver candle sticks with drippy candles and pink tulips or peonies.
Milk glass makes a beautiful tablescape and you can find it just about anywhere. It goes well with so many different ideas. Especially for spring luncheons in the back yard with vintage tablecloths, and brightly colored flowers. Watch for milk glass at just about any flea market or antique shop.
Yellow plates on a white tablecloth with my yellow polka dot napkins and chrystal goblets with bright red geraniums or tulips.
Try tricks like buying mismatched salad plates and putting them on white plates with mismatched napkins.
Or putting a little spray of flowers into the napkin ring.
Don't be afraid to get really creative. Browse through google images under "vintage tablescapes" or splurge and buy a book that is more your own personal style.
Remember that this is suppose to be fun. You are putting your own personality onto your tablecloth.
Just in case you can't tell, I am starting to steer away from the soups and casseroles and get more into flowers and decorating. This is your first clue that I am getting ready for spring to burst forth in all it's glory. Bring on the yard sales, clothes fittings, spring cleaning, planting flowers, opening the pool, and finishing the tree house!
Not to mention new recipes for fresher, slightly (but not really) lighter dishes.
Good night sweet friends. I am off to get my beauty sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment