Saturday, April 24, 2010

Guacamole!!

In all my many years of eating at mexican restaurants, I've never been at all interested in trying their guacamole. It has always looked like a pile of green smush to me and the few times I've been brave enough to stick a teensy bite in my mouth, I've always found it to taste just like it looks. I always thought it looked kind of cool to dip your crunchy chip into it, kind of like I've always thought that drinking coffee looks cozy but I still cannot make myself drink that nasty stuff.

So one day, I was in Sam's getting ready for a barbecue on the back porch when I saw them. A huge bag of beautiful ripe avocados. Not liking the texture of those interesting things AT ALL, I had no idea what to do with them, but I bought them anyway.
So I get them home and decide to experiment with my own version of guacamole, knowing full well that I will not be eating any of it.
I added a little of this and a little of that. Honestly clueless as to what one might put in guacamole never having eaten enough to know what it consists of. So I started guessing. A little later, after I figured that I had done all the damage to the poor avocados that I could, I cautiously dip in a chip and gingerly place a tiny portion on my tongue. It was purely a "Green Eggs and Ham" moment! I felt like saying "I do! I like guacamole!" It was amazingly delicious!!!
I will admit to you that I still do not care for anyones guacamole except my own. This is not being prideful, just honest. Although in all honesty, I have not tasted yours yet, so I could possibly like that too.

This is my recipe, and guess what??!! No measurements again:-(
I live by the motto, keep adding stuff till it tastes right.
I buy avocados from Sam's because they're really big and usually nice and ripe. Not to mention much cheaper. I am not sure how many are in the bag, but I would guess about six or seven. Peel and smash them up real good in a bowl.
Then I add the fresh salsa that you can also only buy at Sam's. It's in the refrigerated section and is so deliciously fresh. Much, much, much better than a jar of salsa. I put in as much I think looks like normal guacamole, then I add a little more because it's just so good!
Next I juice two limes. Don't ask me why, because I usually only use the juice from one. But once again my fear of not having enough always makes me juice two. I don't recommend the lime juice from the bottle. Fresh is so much better!
Then I pour in enough so that it tastes nice and tart plus it keeps the avocados from turning brown. Once again, remember that you can always add more later.
Dump in enough garlic salt until it tastes so delicious that you start drooling. Then add salt and pepper to taste.
Done and done! Very easy. Very fast. Very delicious!
UUmmm not that I'm bragging or anything. Let's just say I got lucky this time. Unlike the time I tried to make up my own tortilla soup:-(

Gotta run! Tonight is bath night and I have seven peoples clothes to pick out. Have a blessed Sunday friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment