Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My thoughts on secret recipes

Let me start by apologizing for my lousy spelling in my last title. Funnily enough, no one told me that "whetting" was misspelled. I was doing laundry the next day and thinking about my post (I have a bad habit of going over my blogs later in my head, making sure there are no mistakes or I didn't forget anything), when with shock and horror I realized that I totally misspelled wet!
Oh well, it's not like I'm a teacher or anything. Oh dear, I guess I am. Well let's hope I'm better with math than I am at spelling.

On with the point here. I am so desperately ready to share some of my favorite summer time recipes with you, but I am determined to wait until it is above fifty degrees. I was thinking this morning "What recipes should I start with?" Some of the dishes I get the most compliments on, I have opted to keep a "Jeppsen family secret". But today I asked myself, why. Why have such a wonderful recipe and then not share it with others? So I have decided to give out for the first time ever, the recipes for some of my favorite summer dishes.
There are however, two that I am not allowed to share with you, as they are not Jeppsen recipes, but Gray recipes and they have been handed down through birth or marriage only.
These are baked beans and the secret sauce for hamburgers.
My own two special secrets will be potato salad and guacamole. Not today though. As soon as it gets warm I promise to get right on here and share them with you. Only keep in mind, that I NEVER measure anything out when I make them. Every time it is done through taste and error.
Some other favorites that I can't wait to pass on: Lemonade Pie (best dessert ever!!!),
strawberry soup, chicken salad, deviled eggs, tuna fish (I promise that you will like this one!), creamy fruit salad, and my own way of frying chicken.

On another note, I had the best day today with Meg and Molly! We went to Target, Hobby Lobby, (no matter what it is that I'm looking for, I always seem to end up at these two stores), lunch at Panera, and then to Petsmart to hold all the birds, puppies, mice (gross), ferrets (again gross), and every other type of little fuzzy thing. They had the best time, and I had the best time watching them. Especially when Molly felt my purse on her back and thought it was a bird. She screamed like no good child should ever scream in public. I was laughing so hard that I couldn't see straight. Days like these seem so far and few between, but I so enjoy them.

I really should go start the ironing again. Does it seem to you that I do this too often? Me too!
What I really want to do is go find more yard sale stuff!

3 comments:

  1. Jen - Your use of "whetting" is actually correct! Take a look at this: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whetting

    I really enjoy reading your blog! I don't cook much since I live alone but I do love cooking and cookbooks and just looking at recipes. Thanks for sharing with us.

    Dannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. Looking at it again I guess it wasn't right. I was thinking "Whetting your appetite" but you were saying "your whistle". So I see what you mean. See probably no one noticed until you mentioned it. :-)

    Dannah (again)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Post again pleeeeaaaase?? :)

    ReplyDelete