Thursday, July 22, 2010

Southern Feast!

Tomorrow night my favorite people in the world will all be gathered for a feast that may sound foreign to you. We are all going up to Mom and Dad's with my brother and sister-in-law and their two little ones. We are cooking up one of our all time favorite meals, that we have to start preparing for tomorrow morning.
The menu will be:
Fried Steak
Fried Chicken
Purple Hull Peas
Fried Okra
Fried Squash
New Potatoes
Fresh Tomatoes
Cantaloupe
Fresh Peach Cobbler

Have you ever see the word "fried" so many times in one menu? Obviously we are not worried about our waistlines tomorrow night!
This meal is absolutely impossible to prepare without a trip down south. Most people up here have never even heard of purple hull peas unless their frozen. I've even heard people say that they're the same thing as black-eyed peas. WRONG!!! Purple hull peas are totally different and much, much better than black-eyed. The okra is something else that is difficult to find fresh in this area. As for the tomatoes, well you northerners have absolutely no idea what you are missing until you taste a south Arkansas tomato. There is a stand in Price Cutter that claims to sell them, but they are no where near as good as true southern tomatoes. They are shaped different and instead of being an orangish yellowish color, they are a brilliant red and smell so strong that you could tell it was a fresh tomato even if you had a clothespin on your nose.
They are the only kind of tomatoes that I like to eat sliced with some salt and pepper.

The peaches are another thing that you simply cannot find up this way. I don't care if you find a booth that says "fresh peaches" on the brightly painted sign. If I were to give you a taste of peaches from the south, you would spit these northern peaches out in the dirt. I guarantee it!!
A truly delicious peach should have little red speckles mixed in with the flesh. The juices should run down your arm the entire time you're eating it. It should smell so strong that you can stand back five feet with your eyes closed and still know right where to put your hand.

I am so dreadfully sorry to make your mouth water so profusely and then rub the drool right off your chin with a rough beach towel by telling you that you have to drive three to five hours away to make it a possibility. This will not be considered my kindest post.

As per my hairdressers suggestion, I posted pictures of my house on hgtv.com and I cannot believe how much fun that has been. Constant comments for the past two days! I have been checking my email like a child checks on the cookies in the oven!!
I'm afraid I depend too much on compliments. Oh well, something else for the Lord to work on!
Good Night all!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not really sure if North Carolina is a southern state or not but we have a some pretty darn good southern peaches around here too! Just bought a bushel of them the other day and juice has been running down our arms every since:) Love it!!!!
    Love your blog Jen! Keep up the good work:)
    Mers

    ReplyDelete