Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Best Dinner Experience I've Ever Had

Wow! It has been a REALLY LONG TIME since I have posted anything on here! It has just been a rather busy summer so far. You would think that after this extremely long silence, that I would have this long list of amazing recipes for you. But alas...I have nothing to share with you in the cooking department. At least not tonight.
But I still had to tell you about the Jeppsen's dinner time this evening. Last night while I should have been sleeping to help myself get over the nasty sinus infection my family caught from a hot tub while we were in Branson this past weekend (I advise you to stay away from those nasty things!), I was propped up on my pillows reading an old book that my Mom used when she was raising me and my brother and sister. It is called "Teaching Your Children to Love Each Other" and it is a wonderful book! Anyway, I noticed that at the end of each chapter, there is a discussion question for parents and one for families. Well maybe not exactly a question, more like a discussion idea.
The idea for children struck me as so wonderful, that I decided to give it try tonight at the table.

As soon as the rather noisy prayer was over (our boys believe in intercessory prayer and insist on bowing their little heads and "helping" Daddy pray), I informed the family that tonight we would be going around the table person by person and doing two different things. First each person had to say three things that they like about themselves. Only one of those things could be about the physical appearance. Except of course in Molly's case. She proceeded to tell us how she loves her nose, her lovely eyes, her beautiful blond hair, and so on and so forth. Oh well, she'll get the idea one day.
Absolutely no laughing was permitted after one slight snicker after one of them said she likes how sweet she is. The idea was not bragging, but more speaking positively.

Second, after everyone had gone around the table telling what they like about themselves (Charlie and Danny made it rather clear that they like their ability to smear spaghetti noodles over every single square inch of their little bodies), we then started all over again only this time each person had to say one thing he or she liked about everyone else at the table.

It took the entire mealtime to finish this excercise, but as soon as we were done, I asked everyone how they felt. Everyone, including Jonny admitted that they felt so much better about themselves and were thinking so much more positively. I can't wait to read the next idea tonight. Ally even came and found me later on asking me what other questions the book had.

Funny how little we seem to notice the things that can be said to constantly make others feel less important or incapable, and it was positively wonderful seeing each childs beaming face as I told them right in front of everyone else, what I thought was so special about them.

I highly recommend practices like this whenever you get the chance. I'm so excited to see what it does as far as helping my children learn to love each other.

Well there now. That was a little longer than I expected, but as soon as we were done with dinner, I knew I had to share this with you. So long dear friends. Hopefully we can continue this one sided chat again soon!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! Can't wait to try that one someday.

    ReplyDelete