Monday, May 17, 2010

What exactly do you do with an eggplant?

I have been asked this question more than once. I have to tell you that it is one of my all time favorite vegetables...deep fried in parmesan that is!
I have heard of people putting in stir fry or in soups. But I'm not completely positive that it would be so delicious on it's own.
My personal favorite is to dip it in beaten egg and then dried parmesan and fry it at 350 until both sides are golden brown. The only problem with this is that the only way I know to get the bitterness out of it, is to sprinkle both sides with salt and place it between paper towels and blot out the moisture. This makes for an extremely salty dish. Which in my opinion is not a true problem but in fact a delight! Not so much for my poor fingers and feet the next morning.
You should really try this dish. It is better than potato chips and perfect for sommersizing!
Before we started eating this way, we would dip the eggplant in flour and fry it. Not nearly as wonderful as using parmesan.

Also if you use it in lasagna instead of pasta, it is a superb low carb meal. I have had people turn their noses up at the idea, but I would encourage you to try it before you knock it. Just be sure that you do the salting trick first so it won't taste bitter.

Oh by the way, THE KITCHEN IS FINALLY FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't put up pictures just yet because I am planning an open house next month. But I will post them right after that.
Just allow me to tell you that I absolutely love it!!!!
I can't even believe how perfect it turned out. Everything better than I hoped for.

For my last thought, I have to tell you the little gift I got this morning. I did the unthinkable and took all five kids grocery shopping this morning. Sam's and Wal-Mart and did all my grocery shopping for the week. I can't even believe how well behaved my kids were! The totally shocked me. No squabbling, no running off, only one trip to the bathroom, no arguing. The only request was Molly asking for Cuties. They did so well, and I so enjoyed being with them, that when I checked out, the lady at the counter told me how and pretty and unstressed I looked! I could've hugged her!!

I am off to bed now. Good night Sweet Readers.

4 comments:

  1. You can get rid of the bitter taste by soaking the eggplant in cold water with a little bit of salt for about 30 minutes. We love eggplant at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel! I'll have to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is dried Parmesan different than you would find in the cheese section? Is there a trick to picking a ripe eggplant or are they all the same?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dried Parmesan that comes in the cannister in the spaghetti ing. As far as picking eggplant, I have never grabbed a bad one. Although as I mentioned before, I always cover it in so much sauce or cheese that I would never be able to tell if it's good or not. I usually try to pick the larger, firmer, more deep purple ones.

    ReplyDelete